The Zanzibar International Film Festival is one of the largest multi-disciplinary art and cultural festival in Africa dedicated to films, music and different form of art.
Each year ZIFF exhibits films from Africa, Middle East, Europe, Latin America, USA and Asia.
The 20th Edition of ZIFF will take place 8th -16th July, 2017 in Stone town, Zanzibar.
The theme of the Festival is Finding Joy – Kusikia Furaha
Festival accepts films from around the world.
Priority is given to films from Africa and The Dhow Countries (countries of the Indian Ocean coast such as Iran, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan ...)
The theme of the festival is also a key criteria for selection. This year's theme is : This Journey of Ours.
1. The Zanzibar International Film Festival is currently accepting applications from filmmakers from around the world according to different categories of competition.
2. The priority is given to films from Africa and by Africans including African Diaspora.
3. The category INTERNATIONAL will award film from international movie panorama
4. ZIFF is also the festival of the Dhow Countries so it opens to films from the region- South East Asia, the Arabian Peninsula, The Persian Gulf, Iran, Pakistan, and the Indian Ocean Islands. These films have their category and prizes in the competition
5. Films in competition must be directed or produced from 2015.
6. ZIFF also reserves the right to accept any films with a specific interest to the festival. We encourage filmmakers to submit works in any genre, features, documentaries, shorts, animation and music videos.
7. Deadline for submission is 15th March 2017.
In acknowledgement of the role that films play in contemporary society, festivals bestow film awards as a measure of the value that the industry accords festivals, and offers filmmakers a tribute to their creativity, innovation and status. The official prize list of ZIFF is as follows:
OFFICIAL ZIFF AWARDS (THE DHOWS Gold and Silver)
Best Feature film
Best Short film
Best Feature from Dhow Countries
Best Short from Dhow Countries
Best Film from International
Best East African Film
Films awarded by independent jury panel and judged by Independent Jury Panels.
Chairperson’s or Bibi Kidude Award (from ZIFF Board)
ZIFF Lifetime Achievement Award. (From ZIFF Board)
Sembene Ousmane Prize: GIZ and ZIFF will award the SEMBENE OUSMANE PRIZE FOR DEVELOPMENT FILMS for the 3 best short films made by an African or an African in the Diaspora.
Bongo Movies Awards: Popular culture films in Kiswahili
Emerson of Zanzibar Prize Films: Films of all genres about Zanzibar, made by or made in Zanzibar.
SIGNIS Awards (Best African Film and Best East African Talent Award) The SIGNIS Jury will present its Award to a film that is deemed to exemplify universal and spiritual values that enhance human dignity, justice and tolerance through the art of cinematic expression.
EAFF Award (European African Film Festival
BEST DOCUMENTARY by an AFRICAN female Filmmaker
.... more special awards can be added
The Sembene Ousmane Film Prize invites Africans and Africans in the diaspora to enter their short films into the competition. 15 films will thereafter be nominated to compete for the 3 prizes during ZIFF 2017. Each of the 3 winning films will be awarded with 2,000 USD specifically earmarked to produce a new short film to be ready by next ZIFF. The scripts and a production plan for the new films will have to be submitted to the festival within 4 months of the award and funds will then be released. This on-going process will simultaneously acknowledge and reward filmmakers for their efforts, whilst contributing to the sustainability of the short-film format.
Competition for best Music Videos by African Artists from East Africa